Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Big Brother

So, I have to admit, that after years of scoffing at it, avoiding it and generally thinking it was ridiculous, I have gotten hooked on Big Brother.  This year, I decided to give it a chance since we came out with a Canadian version.  And there are three Maritimers on there!  Woot!



And when I say that I am hooked, I really mean it!  Right down to watching the live feeds.  A sad, sad state of affairs, I know.  But if I am going to be a junkie for something, I guess a TV show is not the worst addiction that exists.  Right?

I try to justify it by saying it is a very interesting experiment in social dynamics and human interactions.  Because it is, really.  Think about it...lock a bunch of adult strangers up in a confined space for far too long and record what happens; the social dance of groups coming together, friendships forged then drifting apart and re-forming.  The politeness giving way to familiarity and comfort with speaking one's mind to others that were previously at arm's length.  The slight resemblance to "Lord of the Flies" when deciding who should go, who should stay, talking others into agreement on this decision.  It is very interesting from that point of view. 

I love to watch but depending on how evictions go, I might not watch the whole thing to the end.  Because, Andrew, guys!!!!  Yeah, I have a wicked crush on him.  I guess it is because he seems like the kind of guy my gang would be out drinking with and because he is probably age-appropriate for me.  LOL!

What else is interesting is the hard-core Big Brother U.S. fans who watch and compare the two.  They complain that the Canadian one is not this or that compared to the U.S. version.  Well, duh!  Ya think?  We are not American and shouldn't be striving to be exactly the same, just as the American one shouldn't strive to be exactly the same as the Aussie version or any other version.  Our own flavour is the right flavour and we should develop that. 

I am just glad that we finally got on board and have a Big Brother show.  Er...no...scratch that...I am not!  It has turned me into a fan of the show and I hate admitting that!  Aaaaaahhhhh!

I will continue watching as long as Andrew is in the house, so that doesn't actually make me a fan of that type of UNreality show...does it???

16 comments:

  1. Haven't seen Big Brother, but I also don't watch a lot of reality TV. Though maybe I'd watch this one for Andrew, if he wasn't already yours. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Andi! I've never seen this show but one of my friends from college was obsessed with it. He's even auditioned to be on it a couple times, but didn't get chosen. I think he's still trying! That's how much he loves it, LoL.

    Happy A to Z-ing! from Laura Marcella @ Wavy Lines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! I hope your friend keeps trying and does get there! It is a hoot...hard not to watch and see what is going down. Even more fun to watch when it is a live feed and things are not edited a certain way to influence folks' opinions!

      Thanks for the visit! That took me to your page and I love it!!!!

      Delete
  3. I am addicted to reality TV - - except Big Brother :( I have never seen it. But no matter what the show, there is something very . . . oh, what's the word? - - 'entertaining' about watching other people behaving like jerks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I usually avoid "reality" TV because there usually isn't an ounce of reality in it. I personally think it should be called unreality TV. Most situations you see on those shows just would never happen in normal, day-to-day life. But they sure are entertaining. I have gone over to the dark side, I am afraid!

      Delete
  4. I generally hate reality television, but occasionally one catches my attention. I have not seen Big Brother yet.

    Dropping in from A to Z. This is my first year.

    Brett Minor
    Transformed Nonconformist

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still haven't seen Big Brother, but last summer I had a home health care client who would give me updates on it a couple times a week :). I agree with you, the two versions should not be alike. I'm glad you like what you have!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know they did versions for other countries. I've never watched any reality show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Big Brother is done in quite a few other countries. I THINK the Dutch one was the original. They have it in a whole bunch of countries. It would be interesting to know what the others are like!

      Delete
  7. It does make you a fan of that type of UN reality show...somehow !

    Regards
    Kriti
    [Stopping by from the A to Z Challenge]

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed it once, then went off it...think it was the British version. Generally, I cannot stand reality TV, but Big Brother is 'watchable.'
    [Also stopping by from the A - Z; hope to see you around some time soon].

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't get into reality shows. too much reality in my own life!
    Connie
    A to Z Challenge.
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, I severely dislike reality TV as there is nothing actually 'real' about being in a house with cameras watching you 24/7. I see these programs as time wasters.

    Have a great April A-Z!

    Keep Calm and A-Z
    An A-Z of learning English
    Round the world from A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's just not the same since that guy from Edmonton left;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nope. Sorry. Can't stand it. But then I haven't watched it for many, many years, and even then it was the Aussie version. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't blame you. Usually something I cannot stand but just had to see what Cdn version was like. If I hadn't developed that little crush, I would not be watching it. Once he goes, I am done. lol

      Delete